Spending time outdoors can be a refreshing and relaxing way to spend your time. That is, until you wake up the next morning with itchy swollen bites all over your legs and arms.
Don’t panic. Most bug bites and stings come from common insects – they’re harmless, come with minor symptoms and heal quickly. Other insect bites or stings can be dangerous, especially if they cause an allergic reaction or you’re bit by a poisonous spider. Symptoms of a mild bug bites include swelling, redness, rash and pain/itching at the site of the bite. Some insect bites also feature blisters or welts. Symptoms of a more severe bug bite include fever, nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, swollen throat and a rapid heartbeat.
How can you avoid bug bites?
- Avoid places where insects are common – most bug bites occur outdoors
- Don’t eat foods, wear fragrances or use grooming products that attract bugs
- Use skin-safe bug repellent, and insecticides that reduce the bugs outdoors
- Wear clothing that covers your skin for protection
- Know your own personal allergies – consider whether you need to carry allergy medicine or an EpiPen
If you think you’ve been bitten by a bug and want an evaluation by a medical professional, stop by your local vybe urgent care and be seen today.